10.11.05

Canada Immigration

Hotel Max was great! I would recommend it to anyone heading to Canada Immigration in Seattle! The room was small, but nice and very clean. The hotel is brand new (renovated with name change, opened in Oct) and it shows. I liked it alot! Plus, it is next door to the office building housing the Canadian consulate. Ideal.
And no, we didn't try out any of their special packages...thanks, Drew.

The reason that Alex and I had to head down to Seattle was Canada Immigration. For those who don't know, Alex is a Guatemalan who legally lives in Canada through the everpresent grace of a Work Permit issued by immigration. Three years ago, she applied to become a Landed Immigrant in this nation of ours and on Wednesday, Nov 9, 2005, she finally had an interview!

Many of us never have to deal with long term immigration issues (I know I never had before) so the process and the depression that accompanies it is quite extraordinary. I have always thought of Canada as a laid-back, fun-loving kinda place with big hearts for people. One visit to the Canadian consulate in Seattle made it clear that this is not the image others would receive while they try to gain access to our lovely nation!

Cold, sterile and impersonal, the waiting room was filled with people bearing a strange countenance...it was the glimmer of hope, but combined with the pall of resignation, as though each one was convinced that the hope to which they held would be pulled from their grasp quite soon. It was a terrible atmosphere. And my wife, Alex, had this same countenance upon her.

After realizing this, I prayed with Alex in that room, that God would reveal Himself with warmth and joy, that smiles and conversation would pepper this waiting room rather than the gloom of impending doom. I'm glad we prayed. Alex had her interview and I waited. While waiting, I observed a palpable change in the presence of the room. People were joking with the neighbors, little kids were evoking "OOooOOOooo, isn't he cute!!!!" statements from various onlookers, and most everyone was smiling. That was nice to see, cause I was disappointed I couldn't go in with Alex. When they sent notice of the interview (a whole two weeks ahead of time - for an interview at 8:00am on a Wednesday in Seattle! - how considerate), they indicated that I would be interviewed as well and I was excited to take part. Unfortunately, I sat in my seat and waited for a call-up that would never occur :(

Alex emerged from the interview quite charged however... she was accepted! After three years of waiting, much pain and confusion (the story is very long), she was told by a Canadian official that she will recieve her Landed Immigrant papers in the new year (assuming her FBI report comes back positive, her medical status is clear, her Guatemalan passport is updated with her married name and mailed in, blah, blah, blah). The real point to the story is that Alex is finally in. A real, live person told her to her face that she is okay for Canada! Good times.

We celebrated with a wonderful Cajun meal in the food court (I know, I'm so romantic), a speeding ticket on the I-5, and a bunch of shopping at the outlet stores. We both bought a new pair of shoes. These are the ones I bought...Yay!!


Go Canada!

1 comment:

neal said...

Congrats!

I wish I could have landed immigrant status...