10.1.06

The New Guy

Most of us will have experienced being the "new guy" (or "new girl") somewhere, sometime in our lives, at school, a club, a social group, a workplace, etc. Throughout my life, I've been the new guy alot and I think that the residual memory of all those new guy experiences pummells me every now and again.

For example, I have encountered a mirage "new guy" experience twice in the last half a year. Maybe it's important to note at this point that I have had at least three legitimate "new guy" periods in the last year. I have had two different new jobs (one started in February 05, then I changed again in August 05) and I got married...not a "new guy" moment in the strictest of senses, but I was certainly the new guy in the home, imposing my fresh presence on the new girl in my life (being married fundamentally changes the relationship, so no matter how long you've known your spouse before you marry, you instantly become new guy and new girl. THat's my opinion). Now back to the mirage encounters:

Both followed holiday time, which lends itself to "new guy" feelings upon re-entry to the real world, so maybe I shouldn't be shocked at my reaction, but dude, it was strong. Coming back from the honeymoon (I'd been gone for three weeks) in June, I'd have sworn I had never given a tour or driven a bus for Landsea Tours before, though I'd been doing it for many months. Upon returning from Christmastime in Grande Prairie, I feel like an alien at ZLC. It is so weird. I wonder what waking up from an 18-month coma would be like...?

This is obviously an overreaction to the situation, but it alarms me and merits introspection I figure. The worst part of it for me is the disconnect that I feel. A greater level of comfort upon returning to one's vocation would be welcome in my life... more of a "Ahhhhh, now I'm home!" kinda thing... I'd like that. Certainly a stark contrast to "Hmmmm, I get the strange feeling I've been here before..." that I've been subjected to. Sigh.

As I mentioned before, I've been the new guy alot in life. Perhaps it all catches up to you someday and that's what I'm sensing these days. Good to be the "old guy" sometime, but you gotta earn that!

Survey time: How many different places have you lived, and what's the longest you lived somewhere?

I'll kick it off: 12 different cities, longest was GP for 8 years (6+2, not all in a row)

7 comments:

arbyn said...

I've lived in seven cities.

Mission, B.C. is the longest for me: 21 years. Since then it's been in between three and 15 months. These locations include: Amsterdam, South Africa (the country in general...I don't know if it counts as living since I was moving around, but six weeks in East London and six weeks in Jeffrey's Bay), Camrose, AB, Smithers, B.C.

Now I'm living in Kamloops, B.C. and I've been here since September, 2004. That's...(*quickly does math*) well I'm working on a new record. Soon to be 16 months.

- Robyn

neal said...

Do we count richmond delta and surrey as different cities?

if so, 4 (the above mentioned and Edmonton) with the longest being Surrey (9 years) Then Richmond (6) Edmonton (3) and Delta (3)... With the extra year of my life being given up due to rounding...

The going home feeling is weird... and even though I still called surrey home, for the longest time after moving to edmonton I would come back and for about two weeks I would have to force myself to think "this is home, I know this..." before it actually started to feel like home...

kortney said...

I just came to check your blog to tell you should update it. And you did. Good mind reading skills Brent.

Let's see. I haven't lived very many places. Ready?
1) Burnaby: 2 years when I was a baby.
2) Surrey: 16 years, growing up.
3) Camrose: 1.5 years, CLBI.

That's all. Unless I suppose you could count, as Robyn did...I have spent four months in Italy - not all at once - at my Grandmother's house. If that's the case:
4) San Pio, Italy: 4 months.

That is all. Four. I need to get out more.
~Kortney

Unknown said...

two places in cloverdale totalling nearly 22 years now...(21 years, 10 months and 14 days to be precise)
woot woot! i win for longest so far!

A J Craig said...

Let's see, I have a couple of long stay ones... Vancouver till I was 5, PoCo till I was 18 (13 years), Camrose till I was 25 (7 years), Edmonton till I was 27 (2 years),
Maidstone for one year, and back to Edmonton for another year, and I have been here in Surrey now for a couple of yearsish.

Anonymous said...

I haven't lived in one place for longer then 8 months for the last 3 years... only 3 cities though...

Camrose, Ottawa, Delta.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Here we go with this:

Slurrey for 2 years
Langley for 18 years
Sexsmith (heh) or Grande Prairie for 1 year
Mexico for 2 months (if that counts)
and now Kingsburg, California for 2 years

who knows where the next place will be, eh!