19.1.06

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Have you seen this movie? I finally got a chance to watch it last night and it is powerful. I had to rent it on a night my wife couldn't be home because she can't handle the horrific visuals and to be sure, it has some pretty intense moments....

I remember wanting to see this film from the moment I first heard about it, even though I generally don't watch horror films, because of its subject matter and a curiousity to see how a north american film maker would approach it. This is a courtroom drama, not a horror film. Though if you are troubled by seeing horrible things, you'd have to be very careful watching this one. I can honestly say that it doesn't pull any punches. I also found out a few months ago that the director is a Christian who believes that horror is the best film genre to work in as a Christian... (you can check it out his interview at http://www.thesource4ym.com/interviews/ScottDerrickson.asp).

I would love to know the true story. The real details and what happened moment by moment, but of course, that would not seem to be possible. So I am taking this movie, this story, for what it is: an eye-opening glimpse into the world of darkness. The craziest part of it all is that I have seen this darkness before and that is where the personal ramifications begin...

Two days before Christmas, 2001, in Chennai, India, a pastor and I prayed for a young girl to be freed from demonic possession. It was the most intense and humbling experience I have ever had. The instant it was over, I cried because I knew how small I was...

The God I serve, the Jesus I believe in, the Spirit I walk with was present to me (and others) at that service that night and He is HUGE. We are so small...

This movie brought so many things flooding back to my mind and I found myself crying again during the scene where the demons revealed their names...the reality that I live in a time and place where darkness has ownership of so much and so many...and we fail to stand up and ask the darkness for its name that we might identify it and remove it from our midst.

I am asking the BIG GUY to show me what's next...

No comments: