30.10.07

Nerdiness

What is your source of nerdiness? I believe firmly that each one of us, no matter how cool we might be, has an underlying nerdiness (geekiness, whatever)... so what is yours?

I've always loved GI Joe. And because of my love for GI Joe, I expanded from the toys to the comic book world, which led to other comic books too... so, officially, I'm a comic book geek. That's the truth and I'm sticking to it.

The weird thing is when you embrace your nerdiness and begin to allow it to intertwine with other areas of your life. For example, I've always been hyper-competitive. That showed itself in sports, games, school, sibling rivalry...pretty much everywhere. Well, that competitive nature has driven me to love complex games requiring strategy, the more complex generally, the better. Lately, my geeky love for comic books has been influencing my competitive streak through the game Heroclix.

Imagine that this game's rulebook, including various errata (for mistakes/clarifications) and information is over 125 pages. They have more than three dedicated websites running forums where the rules/gameplay is discussed ad nauseum and not only is it complex, it's enhanced by a love for the comic characters you're using to play! Awesome!

So I'm a geek. I've accepted that. Good thing I'm also a ninja (another geek thing to deal with later). What's your geek love?

1 comment:

neal said...

Oh dear... where do I start?

For one, I spend a large portion of my day browsing a forum dedicated to skyscrapers... Not because I'm interested in becomming an architect or an urban planned... but because skyscrapers are cool... And I dont know what everyones knowledge of skyscrapers is, but they dont tend to spring up over night, but that still doesnt stop me from spending 3-4 hours sometimes reading the edmonton skyscraper forums...

And then we get into warcraft. I spend countless hours trying to get purple items for an electronic troll. I am swapping to a Role Playing server shortly. So soon I will be spending countless hours trying to get purple items for an electronic troll while I roll play...