20.9.07

Big Pillow

Are you a Scrubs fan?

I've been watching this show (from Season one through the middle of season 4 now) on DVD and have been surprised with the bold qualities given to the characters, even their relationships with one another. They are so often stark contrasts to one another, reminding me that this is indeed a TV show (and these personalities would never "work" in real life), yet at the same time, alluding to the quirkiness and unbelievable nature of our realities. I really enjoy the balance of comedy and drama on the show.

Well, I bring this up because there are alot of obstinate personalities on Scrubs and it seems that the best way to have those personalities interact on a TV show is to provide them with "pillows" that they can pound on episode to episode. JD is a pillow and so is Elliot. Ted is the ultimate pillow. These softies get punched and poked and kicked and generally mistreated and then go on. They may complain a little and every once and awhile receive some genuine compassion, but mostly, they just take it. I've been shocked lately to realize I am mostly pillow too.

I've always been a "strong" personality. I still am for the most part, but dealing with teens on a regular basis has pillowized me I believe. I don't like to get mad, or especially yell. I can be firm, but repetitious scolding is more annoying to me than to the scolded I've observed. So, eventually I pillow out and just take it.

Pillows cannot discipline. They can't really lead. They can't motivate others. They're just soft; easy to push and prod. I know that teens don't need pillows as leaders, they need rocks. Firm, solid, consistent. So why is being a pillow easier? Cause it allows you to put the blame on everyone else and their misbehavior, not on your inability to lead. So if I know that, where's the rock I used to be?

2 comments:

A J Craig said...

Great post and AWESOME redesign to the blog man...very cool

A J Craig said...

When I was a kid and used to stay at Korey's house overnight, I grew to hate it. Why? The pillows may as well have been used to build dykes. They were like sandbags. Still they served their purpose. I think it's possible to be a sand bag pillow, hard as you need to be, but soft when it's required. As much as I hated those pillows they kicked ass in a pillow fight! Don't get me wrong man, I understand exactly what you mean and the dilemma you are pondering. I have just found that being hard at times doesnt label me a hard person, and being a pillow at other times doesnt mean I will always be that way. The thing is it was just making a conscious decision to be that way.