20.9.05

Weekends

Week-end is a weird word. I suppose it originated at a time when everything was closed on Saturdays and Sundays and the "week" was for working. That meant the Saturdays and Sundays signified the end of the "week"...no more working...

My how things have changed! Now, George's "weekend" starts at 8:00am on Wednesdays when he finishes his graveyard shift at the cement plant while Suzy's (his wife) kicks off more traditionally, Friday nights, with a closing beer with the co-workers. So much for weekends with the family!

And what about people who never get two days off in a row? Say, Saturdays and Mondays, or Tuesdays and Fridays. Do they have no weekend at all, or two? Are their "weeks" eternal and continuous, droning on through time and space, or do these days off signify "weeks" of a day or two broken by numerous "week"-ends? So hard to tell these days...

All I can say is that I love weekends. Even with a job I enjoy, I like weekends even better. I like sleeping in and doing my laundry while watching TV, being relaxed and not having to get anywhere by anytime. I enjoy taking my time and giving it to friends and family, laughing, playing, growing. YAY! Let's hear it for the weekend!

7 comments:

neal said...

Must be nice...

brent said...

nice to have a weekend...?

neal said...

thats the one...

weekends => study
breaks on weekdays => study
other times => classes
other times => work
25 minutes each evening => sleep

I'm loving the life of a student...

Anonymous said...

hello brent! i found your blog cuz you posted it at aimee's blog, and so then i just thought i'd say hello. maybe i'll see you at lance's release party. i'll be there. check out my website sometime!
hope you're doing well and congrats on the wedding!

A J Craig said...

Weekend? I vaguely remember that term, must be nice to live the life of Riley as a youth worker! hehehe. And Neil? I miss being a student...

neal said...

Oh come on, my name is on this page! Please tell me you spelt my name wrong to incite my wrath...

A J Craig said...

hehehe, work my plan did, mmmmhmmm...